Prakrithi - Type and Characters | Dr Franklins Ayurveda Center
Prakrithi - type and characters
Every person is born with a unique body composition or physical constitution namely Prakrithi. It reflects the dominance of a particular dosha and determines all functions of the body. The health and the disease are related with and controlled by the prakrithi.
An example of importance of knowing prakrithi is almost explained simply like this, if a person is born with Vatha prakrithi and his diet is rich in Vatha promoting substances then he is likely to develop problems like constipation, headache etc. If the same food is consumed by a person of Pitha prakrithi sometimes there will not be any health problems.
Characteristics for Vatha prakrithi
- Fast to learn and understand new information, but also instant to forget
- Slim and tall
- Tendency to cold hands and feet
- Discomfort in cold climates
- Unsettled moods
- High energy in short bursts
- Full of joy and enthusiasm
- Responds to stress with fear, worry, and anxiety.
- Generally have Dry skin and hair and don’t sweat much.
Characteristics for Pitha prakrithi
- Medium body
- Strongly muscular
- Sharp mind
- Systematic, confident, self-possessed, focused.
- When under stress, becomes irritated and angry
- Strong digestion and strong appetite
- Uncomfortable in sun or hot weather.
- Generally good management and leadership ability, but can become very strict
- Typical physical problems include rashes or inflammations of the skin, acne, boils, skin cancer, ulcers, heartburn, acid stomach
- Dry or burning eyes and insomnia
Characteristics for Kapha prakrithi
- Calm and Slow-paced
- Forgiving, compassionate and non-judgmental behaviour
- Unchanging and reliable
- Bodily strong and with a strong, heavier built
- Energy is steady and enduring
- Slower to learn, but outstanding long-term memory
- Tendency to have large soft eyes and a low, soft voice
- Tend to be an overweight
- Slow in digestion
- Prone to depression
- More self-sufficient
- Good immune system
- Very calm and Gentle
- Strive to maintain harmony and peace in their surroundings
- Not easily distressed and can be a point of stability for others
- Physical problems includes colds and congestion, sinus headaches, respiratory problems and atherosclerosis (hardening of arteries)
- Don’t like cold, damp weather