Dhathus and its functions | Dr Franklins ayurveda center
Ayurveda distinguishes seven fundamental tissues that provides nourishment, development and structure to the whole body.Body is sustained and maintained by these seven dhathus. They are the basic tissues of the body. The dhathus are ;
- Rasa - Plasma
- Raktha - Blood
- Mamsa - Muscle
- Meda - Fat
- Asthi - Bone
- Majja - Marrow
- Shukra - Reproductive tissues
- Rasa dhathu means fluids like chile, blood plasma, extra cellular and cellular fluid lymph. Its main function is nourishment. It is influenced by kapha dosha.
- Raktha dhathu is the blood. Its main function is revitalization. It is influenced by pitha dosha.
- Mamsa dhathu is muscle tissue. Its main function is to hold the skeleton together. It is influenced by kapha dosha.
- Medo dhathu is the fat or adipose tissue. Its main function is to lubricate cells and tissues. It is influenced by kapha dosha.
- Asthi dhathu is the bone tissue. Its main function is to provide support to the whole body. It is influenced by vatha dosha inversely.
- Majja dhathu is the marrow inside the bone, brain and spinal cord. Its main function is to fill the bones and the joints. It is influenced by kapha dosha.
- Shukra dhathu is the male and female reproductive tissues. Its main function is to help in reproduction. It is influenced by kapha dosha. The production of ojas is also from shukra dhathu. Ojas gives strength and aura to the body. Ojas is responsible for the immunity power of the body.
The formation of seven dhathu is a cyclic process in the body. After the digestion of food, rasa dhathu is formed first. The raktha dhathu develops from it. Each dhathu is thus formed respectively.
Effects of Increased dhathus
- Increase in rasa dhathu leads to weak digestive fire strength, excessive salivation, laziness, heaviness, increased coldness, white discoloration of skin, debility in organs, cough, cold, sthma and increased sleep.
- Increase of raktha dhatu leads to the diseases such as herpes, spreading skin diseases, is eases of the spleen, abscesses, gout, bleeding diseases, abdominal tumors, jaundice, loss of digestive strength, fainting, dizziness, red discoloration of skin, eyes and urine.
- Mamsa dhathu increase may cause cervical lymphadenitis, tumors, increase in size of the cheeks, thighs, abdomen, over growth of muscles of the neck and other places of the body.
- Medo dhathu increase causes fatigue, difficulty in breathing even after little work, Drooping of the buttocks, breasts and abdomen.
- Asthi dhathu increase may cause overgrowth of the bones and the formation of extra teeth.
- Majja dhathu increase may produce heaviness of the eyes and the body and increase in the size of the body joints. It may cause ulcers which are very difficult to cure.
- Shukra dhathu increase may lead to excess sexual desire and to the formation of seminal calculi.
Effects of Decreased dhathus
- Reduction of rasa dhathu causes dehydration, malnutrition, nervousness and dislike to loud sounds. It may cause narrow-mindedness, palpitations, cardiac pain and exhaustion even with the slightest exertion.
- Reduction of raktha dhathu causes symptoms of anaemia, roughness, cracks, dullness, and skin Dryness.
- Reduction of mamsa dhathu directly causes weakening of limbs, emaciation of the buttocks, neck and abdomen.
- Reduction of medo dhathu causes slimness of the body, cracking of the joints, exhaustion, sleepy eyes and thinness of the abdomen.
- Reduction of asthi dhathu shows symptoms like falling of hair of the head, beard, moustaches, and also the falling of nails and teeth.
- Reduction of Majja dhathu may causes emptiness of bones, slimness, weakness, and lightness of the bones.
- Reduction of shukra dhathu causes general body weakness, Dryness of mouth, pallor, weariness, sleepiness, impotency and non-ejaculation of semen or non-ovulation.